Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 2 2010

Well, it feels like we've been here a week already--hard to believe it's just the second day of classes. I think everybody's beginning to settle into the routine of classes, lessons and short nights. This morning I added 2 more students to my class and after lunch a third came in (a former student from a couple years ago), bringing my total to 16. They're a great group and it's exciting to see them "get it" when something starts to make sense (like why an augmented fourth and a diminished fifth are both made up of 6 half steps!)

After group singing this evening, we were treated to a concert from Chonda Pierce. She's a very talented comedienne as well as pianist and singer, but she's a wonderful communicator. I love listening to and watching a performer get an audience all worked up, laughing and having a great time, then all of a sudden, they turn the corner and knock you over with some serious and deep spiritual truths... Beautiful...

Most of the students gathered in the food court for performance opportunities after the concert. Several of my students sang and it was neat to hear them. (Wish they'd sing out like that in the classroom!) The evening ended with Ben, Mary Tom and Rosa Nell singing "Didn't It Rain" (an annual favorite) and then...drum roll... I got to accompany them singing "What a Meeting in the Air." One of my favorite gospel songs and three of my gospel music heroes...Can't get much better than that!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was fun watching that! I got video on my phone. That was one of my highlights of the trip.